Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Emily Strobl- May 27, 2014

I initially went into this trip with notions and expectations which have proven to be in stark contrast to my actual experience, and I could not be more grateful or blessed for the adventure which has unfolded before me. Today´s adventure was one I had been planning for a while now. We were informed even before our departure that we would have one “free day” in Spain. I knew right off the bat that I wanted to take a train somewhere, but where? After talking with our ISA director, Manuel (our amazing contact of endless knowledge) I settled on the ancient city of Sagunto. My roommateKate and I ran out the door of our homestay mother´s home early this morning with “Hasta luegoMuchos gracias!” on our lips and a homemade lunch in our hands. Spain has taught me many things, but one of my favorites is that the loving care of a mother crosses all barriers, even the language oneSoon we were on a train to Sagunto with our teacher, Josh. Only 4€ for a round trip ticket and a day of adventure ahead of us. After a fifteen minute ride through gorgeous Spanish countryside I caught a glimpse of ruins peeking out from the mountains. We climbed up, up, up, through a quiet town, followed by ancient steps until we were standing before the beautiful city itself. A kind man at the entranceinformed us, to our pleasant surprisethat the tickets were “gratis”. Excitedly we ran off to explore the incredible history around us. At this point I must admit I´m endlessly grateful for cameras because no matter how I try this is not a sight I could put into words. One of the most amazing aspects of Spain is the breathtaking way the mountainscascade into the ocean; however, I´ve never seen it quite as perfectly as today. We stopped to have our picnic in a little nook carved out of the mountainside; a welcomed rest from the strong Valencian sun. It was in this quiet moment, eating and laughing with two of my dearest friends, that I was overwhelmed with gratitude and joy. This trip has molded, strengthened, and awoke my spirit in ways I never could have anticipated. For this I am blessed, but I´ve had a second realization beyond this. It is not enough to simply be blessed. As global leaders, it is our responsibility to share our experience, and use our new found skills to benefit the lives of others. All this was in my heart as the three of us continued to explore the ruins, and try our best to capture every bit. After roughly four hours of pictures, joke cracking, and a wonderful conversation with a vivacious Englishman-who may or may not have actually been John Lennon- we started down the mountainside to find our way back to the train station.Luckily for us we first found a small restaurant in the back yard of a Sagunto residence where we could rest and have a drink. Here we poured over the day´s photos, relaxed, and as always laughed. The day´s adventure reflected this trip in many ways; I didn´t know what I was getting into, it exceeded every expectation, and it left me exhausted and exhilarated all at once. Spain has been good to me!



 




No comments:

Post a Comment