Saturday, May 17, 2014

Vanessa Garcia- May 17, 2014

I always wanted to visit Spain since I was little, and when I heard that Horizons was offering students a chance to visit Valencia I jumped at the chance to come. And so far this trip so far has been amazing! The sights and monuments are beautiful all around Valencia. I seem to be falling more and more in love with this city and Spain itself everyday.

Our host family is an elderly couple, Nora and Gustavo (or Gus as he likes to be called), in their late sixties early seventies, and they are the most adorable old couple I have ever met. Although Jasmine and I didn’t meet them until our second day in Valencia (they were on a trip that had lasted longer than they had planned, their niece was taking care of us while they were gone), they were so excited to meet us when we had walked through the door for lunch. Our first dinner together was quite interesting trying to figure out what was being said, but we were still able to communicate! My favorite memory of that night was when Gus had asked Jasmine if she was Japanese or Chinese, in which Jasmine replied that she is in fact Taiwanese.  At this both Gus and Nora got super excited and Gus ran to their little bookshelf they have in the living room and pulled out a Taiwan flag and placed it near the American flag. Theirreaction to Jasmine’s reply was priceless.

Jasmine and I aren’t really adventurous, but today we had decided to take a leap of faith and head to the mall with Katie Murphy. And boy was it an adventure just getting to the bus stop to get to the mall. We knew we were heading in the right direction of the bus stop but we couldn’t find it. Eventually we found our stop and headed towards the mall, our next challenge was to find the right stop. I’m telling you it’s never a dull moment with Jasmine and I because we never know where we are going. Once we finally made it we shopped around for a little bit when we came across a McDonalds. Now usually seeing a McDonalds doesn’t faze us, but this McDonalds had a separate little area for theMcCafe where they made the coffee and served little pastries. Now why can’t we have McDonalds like that in America?


 My host mother and father

The flower bridge we walked on while trying to find the bus stop.

Mcafe in the McDonalds












No comments:

Post a Comment